Blueberries are some of the most popular berries on the planet. They are also among the most nutritious berries. They are a favourite in cuisines from the Mediterranean to Asia.
The following are the health benefits of blueberries which you can include in fruit basket:
- Cognitive Health: The anti-oxidants present in blueberries benefit brain health and nervous system. They can also improve memory and thus aid recovery from Parkinson’s disease.
- Diabetes: In general, berries are regarded as low in Glycemic Index. GI is a way to estimate the impact of food on our blood sugar level after consuming and digesting food. Usually food with GI of 50 or less are regarded as low GI. Blueberries have low GI relative to other berries, in the range of 40 to 50.
- Phytonutrients: Blueberries contain Phyto nutrients like Anthocyanins, Hydroxycinnamic acids, Hydroxybenzoic acids, Flavonols and Phenol related phytonutrients like Resveratrol. These act as anti-inflammatory compounds and anti-oxidants which provide all the health benefits of blueberries.
- Anti–oxidants: This content help in reducing oxidative stress on all systems of body like the cardio-vascular system. They also help protect retina from oxygen damage.
- Flavonoids: Blue berries contain anthocyanins, a type of flavonoids. They not only give the berries its attractive blue and purple hue but numerous health benefits.
- Healthy bones: Zinc, Vitamin K, Manganese, Magnesium, Calcium, Phosphorous, and Iron- all help in building and maintaining strength and structure of bones. Vitamin K helps in improving absorption of Calcium and reduces loss of the same.
- Lower blood pressure: Salt is an enemy of blood pressure and blue berries are low on salt. Also, they contain magnesium, potassium and calcium, which help to control B.P., naturally.
- Fibre: One cup of blue berries contains Fibre content of 3.5 gm. It reduces risk of Type 2 diabetes.
- Heart health: The fibre, folate, potassium, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin C along with its lack of cholesterol, all contribute to heart health. Fibre lowers cholesterol content in blood to reduce the risk of heart disease. Folate and Vitamin B6 stops the build-up of Homocysteine which can damage blood vessels and contribute to heart problems.
- Cancer: Vitamin C, Vitamin A and several phyto-nutrients in blue-berries act as strong phyto-nutrients, which aid in protecting cells from damage of free radicals. They help lower inflammation in the body, inhibits growth of tumour and slows various types of cancer such as mouth, lung, oesophageal, endometrial, prostate, colon and pancreatic.
- Constipation: The high fibre content in blueberries helps to avoid constipation and enhance regularity of excretion from a healthy digestive tract.
- Weight loss: One important and popular element of weight management is the dietary fibre in the Blueberries which functions as a ‘bulking agent’ in the digestive system. Food rich in fibre enhance feeling of satiety and reduce appetite which lowers calorie intake.
- Fights wrinkles: The support system of the skin is Collagen which depends on Vitamin C to fight against smoke, pollution and dust. It makes the skin smooth, and wrinkle free.
Knowing these health benefits of blueberries, you can include them in fruit baskets delivered to loved ones who are not feeling well.